Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Autodesk Officially Announces InfraWorks 360 Pro

To get the full scoop, you can read this article:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100945545

Here are the highlights:

  • InfraWorks 360 Pro has new features:
    • Connection to WeoGeo, which if you're not familiar, is a site that hosts geospatial data - some free, some not.
    • Terrain grading and shaping - I haven't actually seen this in action yet but I'm assuming this is some incarnation of the the Interactive Terrain Shaping stuff we saw awhile back on Autodesk Labs
    • Better rendering with a choice for high quality rendering or lower quality/faster performance rendering
    • Enhancements/improvments with pipe networks
  • It is being sold on a quarterly "rental" basis
At this point, I'm a little confused about what's going on.  I downloaded the InfraWorks R2 update on the subscription site and installed it.  It gave me three ways to launch the software - InfraWorks 360 Pro, InfraWorks, and InfraWorks Ulitmate (those aren't the exact names).  



The Ultimate version does not get a license.  I'm guessing this is because I have IDS Premium, not Ultimate - but I'm not sure.  I'm waiting to hear back from Autodesk on exactly what's going on.

The other two products launch.  I'm most interested in the Terrain shaping so I immediately searched for a new ribbon or something of that nature.  No Terrain Shaping ribbon tab.  The best I got is that when I right-click a coverage area, I get a Shape Terrain command in the context menu.


After clicking the Shape Terrain command, I get a nifty blue arrow and some blue coloring at the corners of my coverage area, but that's it.  I can drag the arrow up and down but it doesn't do any more than the z-axis arrow on the gizmo that accompanies Infraworks objects.  I get the feeling that there is some feature-unlocking that needs to be done somehow.


Currently I'm working on downloading the 30-day trial.  I'll update this post if I make any progress there.

Updates!

  • Just got a little more info on the Shape Terrain command.  It takes a coverage area and flattens it out to a single elevation.  Separate post coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment