Monday, January 16, 2012

Civil 3D 2012 Essentials: Extra Stuff For Instructors

It dawned on me today that instructors may be unaware that there is extra material available for Civil 3D 2012 Essentials that can be downloaded.
How do I get to this stuff? you ask.  Well, start by going to Wiley's page for the book: www.sybex.com/go/civil2012essentials.  Then click the Downloads tab and on the right click the link that says Companion Sites under Instructors.  This will expand to reveal another link that says Instructor Companion Site - Click on that.
On the next page, click Login/Register to create an account (or log in if you created one awhile ago and forgot about it).
If I recall correctly, you have to wait a bit for your instructor account to be approved.  Once it has, you can log in and get to the material.  The material includes:
  • Introduction - Explains how to use the material and what it's for
  • ATC Syllabus - If you're teaching this as a 3-day class, this is the syllabus to use.  You should know, however, that three days is a very aggressive schedule.  I like to teach it in 4 1/2 days.
  • Higher Ed Syllabus - If you're teaching this over a semester, this syllabus breaks the course down into thirty 90-minute sessions.  I haven't tested this syllabus out yet.  If you have, please comment.
  • Test Questions - great for quizzes and tests whether you grade them or not.  10 questions per chapter that are a mixture of multiple choice, T/F, and fill-in-the-blank.
  • Powerpoint Slides - Great way to keep yourself on track and provide visuals to go with the class.  I like to alternate between slides and hands-on exercises when I'm teaching this material.
So if you're an instructor, either within a college, high school, ATC, or just the one who volunteered to teach the Civil 3D class for your company, these materials are available to you.  You paid for 'em when you bought the book, so use them!  I hope they add value to the teaching experience for you.



1 comment:

  1. Eric

    It is funny the publisher don't even know that it is there. I asked them to open it for me last week and there response was that there was not a companion site for this book. I am going to send them your post if you don't mind.

    I am just thankful for me asking about this stuff at gunslingers now.

    Thanks again
    Creg

    ReplyDelete