Thursday, December 15, 2011

What I Learned About Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler Today

I wanted to do a quick demo of AIM today so I installed the demo, fired it up, and started importing data.  Here are some things I discovered.

  • You can import a surface into Civil 3D using Google Earth, then export that as XML and import it into AIM.  Great way to make a quick surface if you don't have GIS topo data.
  • F5, F5, F5! (thanks to @C3Dish for enlightening me about this).  F5 is AIM's version of REGEN.  Until I learned about F5, I was importing data and wondering where in the heck it was.
  • Make sure you give your buildings a roof slope that is greater than zero.  Zero roof slope =  no roof.
  • It's not as fast as you may have been led to believe.  Once the data is in there it screams along nicely, but processing data (in my case 2 shape files, a LandXML file, and an image file) can take a long time.  It may have been user error because I was importing a county's worth of data but my terrain was only a square mile or so.  Maybe there's a filter you can apply up front so that it doesn't try to import and process everything.
  • Make sure to use the Drape option, or you're data will be down at sea level
  • AIM is really cool.  The image below is of my office building and surrounding area.  Knowing what I know now, I could probably generate this model in about 15 minutes.  It would have an aerial image draped on the terrain too, but I didn't have a good-quality one handy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. When i import the Terrain in XML format my buildings hides somewhere. And if i delete the Terrain's source my buildings are available again. Where is the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks !
    My friend, what can i do for this: i am drawing on the terrain that i imported and the image jumps from where i drawn it! Rescue plz, if u don't mind send at dmaniragaba@gmail.com.
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete