Friday, October 28, 2011

Upright Linetypes - Gotcha!

Recently we upgraded to Civil 3D 2012 and one of the things I was really excited about was actually an AutoCAD 2011 feature that enabled text in linetypes to always stay upright.
For those of you unfamiliar with the feature, you simply replace the r= part of a linetype definition to u= to put it into practice.

It's been almost two months and I thought this feature was working great for everyone until someone sent in a support request complaining that their text was upside-down.  Naturally I thought they had just loaded up the old linetypes but to my surprise, when I opened the problem drawing, I found that the text was upside down no matter what.  Then I saw it...the drawing had a rotated viewport which meant that the Y direction was pointing toward the floor.  That was my "You gotta be kidding me" moment with this feature.
So...heads up.  If you use this feature, be aware that it looks only at world coordinates to determine which way is up.  It's a great feature as long as you never rotate views.

My solution?  I copied our linetype file and did a find/replace switching all the "u=0"s to "u=180"s.  This gives users an alternate set of linetypes to load when they've got a rotated viewport.  Pretty?...no.  If anyone has a better solution...please share!

3 comments:

  1. Watch out for arcs with text in the label style using the new u= feature. Sometimes the text will end up off the arc completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have the same issue using C3D 2012 and C3D 2013. Basically a useless feature in the real world of plan production.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This solution worked for me, and it took me awhile to find this post. Nothing else worked. I don't consider this an improvement on the linetype, since viewports are frequently rotated in my industry (civil engineering) and now I need to create duplicate linetypes and select them manually in my drawing. Thank you figuring this out.

    ReplyDelete