Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm Expecting!!

June 7, 2011...this is the due date of my baby...at least that's what the Amazon.com listing says.  Of course I'm not talking about a baby-baby, I'm talking about AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 Essentials, the book I've been working on since October of last year.
The official press release for the whole series from Wiley/Sybex can be found here.  And Wiley's listing on the book can be found here.  As you can guess I'm very excited about the book since it's my first work that is publicly available.
My hope is that this book will see its way onto thousands of desks around the world, whether they be in training centers, home offices, high schools, colleges, or the workplace.  If you're familiar with my work, either through AU, consulting work that I may have done for your company, blogs that I've written for, or some other way, please check out the book and consider it for anyone you know who might need some basic training or a brush-up on Civil 3D.
Which leads me to the book itself.  As the "Essentials" part of the title implies, this book is for Civil 3D basics.  It is designed for anyone who wants to begin learning Civil 3D or brush up on the fundamentals.  It is a multi-purpose book designed to work in a classroom environment (whether a training center, high school, or college), or for learning on one's own.  It contains hands-on exercises and is accompanied by downloadable drawings, etc. to be used in completing those exercises.
While writing the book, I wanted it to mean something more than just the nuts and bolts of Civil 3D.  Wherever I could, I included information about how the different Civil 3D procedures relate to the real-world.  For example, here's one of my favorite sidebars to explain K values:

They're not all this colorful, but this one makes me chuckle every time I read it.  If you're a veteran, remember learning about design concepts like this when you were young?  Imagine how nice it would have been to have sidebars explaining this type of thing in your Softdesk or Land Desktop manual?  I wish I had them!
Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement about the book with anyone who might want to listen.  I hope some of you who read this post will be able to comment on the book someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment